Re: Radio busted

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radio busted
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:31:45 -0500 with any abuse report
Steve,
I ran up against the same issues as you, plus the fact that it would be
virtually impossible to change a CD... There might exist a head unit with
remote changer, but I wasn't going to shell out that kind of money for a
system that would be that vulnerable to theft.
What I ended up doing was to build on Frank Clarici's concept of a speaker
shelf behind the seats , but with the addition of an AM/FM/Cassette.
http://home.comcast.net/~rmidget/radio/ has some pictures of the beginnings
of it. The shelf readily comes out if you tip the seats forward. I have
added a pair of small speakers (tweeters, really) on a home-made bracket
behind the speaker grille in the console that really help to make it easier
to hear.
I used a trailer-light flat-four connector to attach power to the shelf and
a computer Molex drive connector to attach the front speakers so that the
whole works pops out quickly and easily for autocrossing. I also installed a
retractable antenna on the shelf to cut down the number of connections.
I left the previous trashy radio (push-button AM/FM with switchable
polarity, Wow!) in the console to distract thieves and I generally drape a
cap or something over the front of the radio when I park the car to make it
as inconspicuous as possible.
I used a radio that I already owned. Ideally, a fancy radio with a remote
would make it easier to use, although my only complaint is that it is a bit
difficult to find the station you want... maybe a mirror would help.
David Lieb (not the one mentioned in the other email)
1972 Blue