Re: oil leak

To: Christina Liebel <kristi74midget@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: oil leak
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:18:29 -0700
Cc: List Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Kristi,

An Oil leak isn't that unusual for a Sprite,Midget.  As you have heard we all
have our leaks.  I am thinking you have the 1275 engine and it has been running
okay.  The first thing to do is clean that engine to see where the leak is
coming from.  Notice what part of the car the leak is at when you move the car
to fresh ground.   This will help find the leak.  As you heard the prime
candidates are the oil pressure covers.  One is for the relief spring, the
other the gauge.  There is also a rubber tube that is on the oil sending unit.
This will get old and crack with age.  The fuel pump cover can also leak.  When
I redo a engine I always glue everything with the removable gasket maker along
with the paper gaskets.  This makes it easier to remove the next time and seals
real well.

The 1275 engine has no rear seal on the engine, mine always has a drop or two
at the back end after I turn it off.  It's what the British call marking their
territory.  If it is leaking towards the back this is it.  Unless it is real
dramatic I wouldn't worry about it.  The car should run okay.

The timing cover seal is another bad spot.  If it wasn't assembled right to
begin with it will really pour out the front end.  I install the cover and
leave it loose until I put the front pulley on.  Then I tighten it all up.
This helps center the lip seal on the shaft.

My MGB when I first got her was leaking a quart every hundred miles.  Under the
bonnet was a disaster.  I couldn't believe the previous owner actually drove it
this way.  I replaced the valve cover gasket and side plate gaskets and brought
it up to at least a quart every 1500 miles.  So hang in there and you will find
the leaks.

Cheers

Wrongway Ricky
60 Frog eye "Puddles"
52 MGTD "Sparky"
When driving down the road to life, Downshift and nail it on the corners.  It
makes it worth the drive.