Re: vacuum or lack thereof

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum or lack thereof
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:31:23 -0500 reply-type=original with any abuse report
>> Could the symtom of my 1275 running hot be related to vacuum.  I added a
>> vacuum gauge last spring and right now its reading lower than normal as
>> in
>> almost none as indicated.  I plan to spray some WD 40 or similar around
>> the
>> vacuum unit to test for a leak but haven't done so yet.

Spraying around the vacuum unit is somewhat pointless. It would take too
long for that to have any effect to consider it a valid test. Disconnect it
at the manifold and plug it to see if that affects the amount of vacuum
registering on the gauge. I doubt it will affect it. Might you have a
problem with the plumbing to the gauge? Is the gauge buffered? Many of the
dash-mount vacuum gauges are, thus rendered a little less useful for
diagnostic purposes. The documentation that came with the gauge should
reference this as well as showing you a translation table for interpreting
the readings. Otherwise, many manuals contain this info, even the Chiltons
MG manual does. Low vacuum is usually "late ignition or valve timing,
lowcompression, stuck throttle valve, leaking carburetor or manifold
gasket."
David Lieb