dizzy and stuff for 1098

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: dizzy and stuff for 1098
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:39:08 -0700
   Remember me ? I am the fool who knows nothing about Spridgets and
purchased a 1098 out of a junkyard and I am putting it into a 1934
Singer.  About 3 years ago, I started this project and got the motor out of
the wrecking yard and rebuilt it, I test ran the motor by "borrowing" a
distributor and a intake manifold and carbs from a friend for a weekend.  I
am finishing up the mocking up of the car and need to get a distributor so
I can make sure I have the room for my steering shaft before I make the
final welds on my motor mounts.

   I am going to lose my job and be unemployed anywhere from next week to a
month from now depending on a certain project at work, I will be unemployed
for 2 to 4 months again depending on how things go at work.  Don't feel
bad, it was my choice I volunteered for this layoff so I can get house and
car projects worked on with a guaranteed job in a few months.  Things will
be tight but I hope to have enough fun to make up for that.

  So back to cars, I have looked at Moss's electronic distributors and at
many hundreds of dollars I wonder if they are worth it, I generally prefer
electronic systems, I know when they break on the side of the road you
can't fix them but I find they are generally much more reliable. I have not
dealt with points in many years.  What are my options for distributors ? I
will need one in a few weeks or so at the earliest and although I could
re-borrow my friends for final clearance checks, I would rather do it with
the one that will stay on the car.

  Next is Carbs, when I got my motor the guy at the wrecking yard threw
(literally) a set of carbs and manifolds at me and I have no idea if they
are 948, 1098 or 1275, all I know is they are muddy from years in the yard
and I need to rebuild them.  I was going to send them to someone on the
list here a few years ago and never got around to it because I thought I
might buy new ones from Moss that would be correct but that seems silly
until after I tear mine apart and see how good or bad they are.  Any super
short quick primer on what would the correct carbs be for a 1098 and we can
get into them later.

  I am also going to have some ribbed gearbox questions later, look out
list my years of planning are happening at last.

   The plan is first week off is to get the body on the frame for final
fitting of the motor, I need the cowl on to hold the steering gear and also
may have firewall clearance issues to deal with.  Then its pull the body
back off, pull the gearbox and get it fixed, weld up the motor mounts and
weld up a exhaust system and reassemble.  The fantasy is to drive it by
xmas, primer grey, no chrome, minimal wiring, etc. but drive it.  When I
finish the car sometime next year, it will become a nearly daily driver,
that is why I put in this reliable motor even though I spent a fortune on
the original motor while doing the Spridget motor.  I have done nothing and
will do nothing that can't be reversed very quickly back to original, the
Spridget motor is even going to use the original motor mount holes in the
frame, no mods to the Singer of any kind so I can swap back to original if
I ever want to but as I said, I have built this up so far with the intent
of nearly daily driving, I hope it works out like I am told it will by
various UK club members who have done this.

  Wow, long message sorry...

        Mike