Re: Haunted Speedometer

To: List Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Haunted Speedometer
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:57:37 -0400
Well I took some time today to try and figure out some of the problems
that we have been having in the car.  I took the speedometer out of the
can to see if my untrained eye could figure out what to look for.  I
was told that something may have come loose but nothing seems to be
laying on the balance wheel.  I thought it might be lack of lube but
there seems to be more lube in there than I could imagine.  I also
check the end of the speedo cable to make sure it had lubrication.
There is a greasy substance there as well.  The speedometer seems to be
getting "hung up" around 50 mph and slowing to about 40 then stopping,
when it is out of the can.  I do not know how much grease should be in
there.  Is there supposed to be a lot?  I did not want to fiddle with
it to much since I am not totally sure what I am looking for and did
not want to mess anything up.  Based off what I have explained does any
one have any thoughts as to what it could be.  The odometer and
tripometer are still working fine which is why I think it is in the
speedometer head and not the cable.

Thanks,
Kristi and Lambert
74 Midget "Mini Lee"