Re: No LBC - 4WD vs AWD

To: Michael D Myers <mdmyers_ct@juno.com>
Subject: Re: No LBC - 4WD vs AWD
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:39:26 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike,

I think maybe we are familiar with or thinking about different
vehicles.  While I have not looked lately cars like Subaru and Audi
with AWD only have a normal manual or automatic transmission and as
the driver you have no control of the "transfer case."   But there is
a possibility of bad old age memory.  On the other hand my Jeep for
instance has 2WD H, Part time 4WD H, Full time 4WD H and Full time
4WD L.  In two of these options the inter-axle differential is lock
so the front and rear wheels turn at the same rate and in the other
two options the inter-axle differential is not lock allowing the
front and rear wheels to rotate at different rates.  Of course in 2WD
H the front wheels receive no drive power either.

None of this is of any help to stupid drivers. :-)

Bob Kitterer

1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor, in boxes)
2000 Miata Special Edition