Re: Wood steering wheel resto?

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Wood steering wheel resto?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:25:01 -0400
Cc: "(YahooGroups) vSAAB" <vSAAB@yahoogroups.com>, "spridgets Group at team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Lester Ewing wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     i am in the process of restoring an original wooden steering  wheel
> for the SAAB Monte Carlo.  i am removing the varnish at this  point but
> I can see several cracks / delaminationns inn the wood.   I'm guessing
> that the way to repair this is to squish wood glue in  there and clamp
> things together.  So please tell me any hints or  tricks or gotchas

I use this trick on a few occasions ;)
Sand the wood wheel with fine sand paper but collect the dust.
Now mix the saw dust with a little yellow wood glue (elmers or
tightbond) add 4 drops of watter and a 1/2 a drop of dish soap and mix
it all up. Now squish it in the cracks or splits of the wheel.
The sawdust is the correct color, the glue, water/soap make it flow into
the cracks.
If it's a dark wood wheel, bondo mixed hot (lots of red hardener) will
look like a grain in the wood but don't do this on wide cracks.

Sand it down smooth and use clear coat (auto paint)instead of varnish.
It will last for years and not crack, chip, gum up, or fad with the sun.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ