Muffler and exhaust pipe effects

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Muffler and exhaust pipe effects
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:37:48 EDT
Cc: dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com, rbc43@starband.net
My 1974 Midget is slowly going back together after an extensive restoration
this summer. One remaining decision to be made is the choice of exhaust system
 and muffler.  I know there was a recent discussion in this forum about
muffler choices, and I liked the suggestion from dbl (David) and rbc (Roger) to

use the J.C.Whitney  double tube 1 3/4" I.D. ZX222855R.  However,  my local
"muffler man - exhaust welder" thinks I should go for the 2" I.D.  version to
reduce back pressure and improve flow.  I have the  stock manifold on the
midget,
and the engine (1275) is stock except for a  Weber carb.  Will the 2"
diameter really help?
"Muffler-man" also suggested the 25" long version of the muffler over the
19" version to make the car quieter.  For those of you using the 19", is it
really loud?  I know this is very subjective, but what's the guess for how
much
quieter the 25" version will be over the 19"?  How quiet do I want  this
midget anyway?

Thank you.

Steve
1974 Midget (soon to be a bugeye)