Re: Garage lifts

To: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Garage lifts
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:48:57 -0500
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I bought an Eagle 4 post lift several years ago.  I prefer it over the 2
posts I've used (in garage settings) because it allows more open access
to the underside of the car.  As well, as Mike Rambour said, it is no
big deal to get the car off its wheels for suspension work.  I've done
that a lot changing rear springs and suspension components.  While the
ramps may get in the way once in a while on some projects, I found an
outweighing advantage to them as they serve as a convenient place to
place tools during the project.  That's something I never anticipated.

It's true the 4 post will sway around, but I'm confident it's not going
to drop anything.  I don't know if I'd have the confidence on a 2 post,
especially the asymmetrical ones.

Which leads to another 4 post advantage: you can always open the doors.

A mistake I made when building my garage, because at the time I did not
anticipate a lift, was failing to allow enough ceiling height to raise a
car to the top of the posts' travel.  I could have done it by
cantilevering the ceiling joists over the lift location but at the time
I was focused on a second floor storage area.  I would do it differently
if I could go back in time.

I like Mike's use of the scissors lift for the same reasons he cited.
If I wasn't so tight on space to store it, I would try to get one.