Re: Axle Question

To: "Larry & Sandi Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>, "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, "Brian Hauck" <mchauck@adelphia.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Axle Question
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:04:14 -0500 reply-type=response
Actually, you are close but no cigar.  The Metro rear axle is wider than
Sprite by one inch (1/2 in. per side).  Actually you can use Sprite axle
half shafts in the Metro rear end but I guess it may cause a little more
wobble in the splines as not as much of them is contained within the
differential gears.

How do I know this?  I have a Series one Lotus Seven that has leaking outer
rear seals at the hubs.  No matter what I do, I cannot get them to stop
oiling my brake shoes.  I have tried everything that the good folks of the
list have mentioned and still cannot fix it.  My next move is to probably
buy actual Metro half shafts and give that a try.  I am running Sprite half
shafts now and I wonder if they just aren't going far enough into the
differential to hold the outer hubs as steady as designed.  I am picturing a
tiny amount of hub wobble that may be letting the 90 weight get past the
seals.  Hopefully over the winter, I can solve this problem.

Mike C