Re: Bugeye Color/Paint Question

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Color/Paint Question
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:47:59 -0800
Cc: "Willis, Ben" <BenWillis@anderson5.net>
Willis, Ben wrote:

>Hi, It's me again :-)
>

>I am in the process of planning out my paint and primer purchase for the
>Bugeye resto project.
>

>I have read that under the bonnet everything was "blacked" out. Does
>this mean that black was sprayed over the body color or that the engine
>compartment was painted independently?
>

>I have also heard of red and black primer being used. Does anyone know
>of a god source for answers to these questions online?
>

>Thanks!
>

>Ben in SC

I know nothing of references, but on my '60 bugeye (which has been in
the family since '67 and never had that part of the car repainted) the
underside of the bonnet and the engine compartment are all original red
(well, except for the parts that are now primer gray treating rust).

The vertical side panels (hmm... what would be what this page:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29311
calls "PANEL, outer side of footwell,") are painted black, but I can't
swear that's original.

Chas Douglass