Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Bugeye Group..... RE: SOS '05 wrap up

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Bugeye Group..... RE: SOS '05 wrap up
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:44:19 -0600
Cc: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>, William Thompson <willy1959@gmail.com>, "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net, Larry & Sandi Miller <millerls@ado13.com>
On 11/30/05, Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com> wrote:

> Robert E. Shlafer wrote:
>
> > it's not that the car won't do it, it's that I
> > won't do it to the car! And not because
> > it WON'T make it, but because there is no
> > good reason I can think of why it SHOULD
> > HAVE make it at all, to begin with. :)
>

> Who called him a wuss?
> The above is a wuss excuse.
> I don't wanna do it just because.
> Road trips are a blast, road trips in a Sprite are even more of a blast.
> And if nothing goes wrong, you have nothing to talk about.
> Do the road trip, hope for a break down.
> We have guys doing the BABE rally in real POS Spridgets, are they
> worried? I think NOT.
> If the rally wasn't during my busiest month, I would be driving and/or
> navigating. But I will assist in the prep work.
> And if there is an SOS in the summer, I will be driving one of the
> Spridgets out there. Just check the oil, top up the rad, and do it.

Actually, guys...  I really can kind of understand the Cap'n's position.
When I was 25, I thought nothing of taking off across Europe in the
old MG-TC with nothing but a few tools and a spare fan belt. Broke
down a number of times but it was all a part of the game. The journey's
the thing, you see..... Not the destination....

Now that I am over 60 with heart disease, hypertension, and spinal
arthritis (sciatica), I don't crawl around on the ground or lift things
so well any more. Its all I can do to bend enough to get in and out
of the Midget some days. When I took down the fuel system and
cleaned it all out last spring, it took me about 5 minutes laying on
my back under the car in pain to work up the required energy
to squirm back out again (got to get a creeper!!). Nowadays,
breaking down beside the highway is a bit more of a bother than it
was when I was 25....

Cheers!!
Jim - he of the disabled Midget in Dodge City