Re: Cap'n Bob and driving distances

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cap'n Bob and driving distances
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:43:44 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
When I bought my Bugeye, I had never seen the car
before, only knew the rep of the great guy I bought it
from. So I asked him if it would make it from
Louisville to cenral Florida.  He said "it's got a
3.9, and with the 948 she'll do 60-65 all day, just
maybe not everyday."  So I bought a one way ticket,
not tools, no spares, got off the plane, got in the
car, drove 1100 miles home throught the great Smokies.
 The first night, the fuel gauge crapped out, and the
odometer as well.  Midnight in the Smokies, no place
to get gas, no idea how far I'd gone...I come across
"The Albany Motel", $16.99 a night.  I wake the owner,
get a room, open the door, and the cockroaches
scatter.  I put my gear back in the car, and sit in a
chair fully clothed with lights on to keep the raoches
away.  The TV got one channel, and I watched Lady
Diana's funeral over and over again from the UK in the
middle of the night.  The next day, 14 hours behind
the wheel, and all I can hear is the infernal Elton
John "Goodbye England's Rose" in my head...just awful.
 Anyway, great trip, no parachute. Next night I stop
in Bumf@ck Georgia, eat a real meal, and go next door
to watch circle track racing with the local kids
running what they brung...etc., etc.

You are what you remember, so live it up NOW.

--- "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
wrote:

> So, I'm reading a version of the Spridget Clymer
> manual I got with the new
> car. In it, is a reprint of a magazine article,
> written by Ocee Ritch. The
> story is that he and another journalist taking one
> of the Works Sebring
> Sprites, and one of the Works MGA coupes, starting
> the day after they
> competed in the 12 hour race, across the country
> from FL to CA.
>

> Their preparation consisted of a new set of fuel
> pump points in the Sprite,
> oil changes, and replacing the spark plugs. Off they
> went, across country.
> Successfully.
>

> Real men. Real cars. No worries.

Ron Soave

"I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep on the soil of a friend."
 George W. Bush, on visiting Denmark, June 29, 2005

Yahoo! DSL  Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com