RE: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275

To: Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com>, Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>, Kid Vid <kidjoevid@yahoo.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:12:46 GMT
Glad I could help, Bud....

far as I know, there is the early "CG" (small
mains) and later "CC" (big mains) 1098. If there is a CD or other version
(Spridget) I
am not aware of it. The "stiffened" crank
of the later "big" main 1098 makes for a
little more power and of course, less wear/tear over time/miles, most especially
in view of the 3 main (rather than 5) main bearing crank config.

Of course, this makes the CC version of the
1098 a "better" platform for "tuning", in
the event.

As for wider tire sizes. I agree with you
and most assuredly so when it comes to
a tendency to "float" over "contaminated"
surfaces when equipping a relatively light
car (not originally built/equipped) with "wide" tyres in mind.

Wider tires come with a price in both ride
quality and suspension wear and tear, all
other factors equal. It's all compromise and
tradeoff in any event.

For simply cruisin' around town and secondary country roads, a 1098 in good
condition is definitely suitable, and most
especially so when equipped with the 5 speed in consideration of the "lower"
first
3 gears. By experience, I can say it will dart
about town/country as well as a stock 1275 equipped with the stock
ribcase....BTDT.

I think you'll be happily surprised with the
amount of low rpm pull you get out the Datsun box's 5th gear matched with the
longer stroked 1098. And I'm not talking
about "lugging" here. Just sensible use of the pedal to limit load under
conditions of (level surface) low-rpm cruise. Works very
nicely...smooth as silk! :)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)