Wiring a real air compressor

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[C1509B00:01C61093] k03IUpOr024946
Subject: Wiring a real air compressor
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:30:21 -0500
Folks,

Thought I would chime in with a wiring question since I'm also getting
ready to buy a "real" compressor.  I know we have lots of 12VDC gurus on
the list - are there any AC electrical gurus?  :-)

Clearly, 240V is the way to go for decent CFM - how does one get 240 set
up?  I have a detached garage with its own 50A panel and there is plenty
of expansion space - is it just a matter of wiring in a new 240V circuit
or do I have to get 240 piped in from the pole?  If so, does that mean
buying a different level of service from the electric company?  It would
be nice if I could just have my electrician set me up...

Thanks in advance.

Skip Tannen
tannen@babson.edu
'65 Austin Healey Sprite