Re: 1275 vs 1500 in a RB Midget

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275 vs 1500 in a RB Midget
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:28:44 -0800
My '70 was my daily driver in Maine from 1980 to 1987. Forty miles each
way on I-95, rain, sleet, snow, or shine. I drove my wife to the
hospital in that car and drove her and my son home. Bolted the child
seat to the parcel shelf. I'm still reminded ruefully of our trip from
Maine to Ohio and back when she was seven months pregnant.

It was hard to carry 4 X 8 sheets of plywood in the Midget, but I did
it at least once (can't remember how).

I drove it 30 miles once without brakes, and for a week without a
clutch when the slave went out. Carried a rubber mallet to beat on the
panel just above the fuel pump when it would stop ticking at
stoplights.

Finally tore it done when it broke too many teeth on the ring gear, for
a complete restoration. When I did so, I saw that the front beams were
curved like a rocking chair. That answered the question as to why it
shook above 50 mph. Never reassembled it.

Gawd, I miss that car.

Mark