Re: SUVs

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SUVs
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 09:03:42 -0800 filter05.roc.ny.frontiernet.net
Excess mass  does not always offer the necessary protection in an accident.
The one that  did me in was caused by an 80 year old lady in a Sedan D'Ville
going through a red light and hitting my 33,000 lb Gillig Phantom with
enough force to break the frame on the bus.  Gillig frames are among the
strongest in the industry, and are used on many upscale motor homes.

I drive my '89 Cherokee, and will until I can no longer get the parts to
keep him running, for numerous reasons.  First, he has wing windows.  I
prefer fresh air to AC.  Second, he has room for both passengers and dogs.
He has room to buy dog food in bulk when it is on sale.  He has 4WD for
climbing muddy, sandy, or snowy trails in the back country, and will allow
me to escape from my steep driveway when it is covered with ice.  The
straight 6 gets about 28 MPG on the highway, which is certainly as good as
some more modern vehicles.

I will keep my '87 F-350 crew cab for many of the same reasons, even though
he is 2WD and gets atrocious mileage.  His high ground clearance and a few
bales of hay over the drive wheels render him suitable for anything the
Weather Gods have yet thrown at me.  He will pull my horses anywhere,
getting the same mileage he does empty, has room for my riding companions
and all our gear, and enough hay for an overnight (or longer) trail ride.

Kate