Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Bolt and thread question, now back to the plate!.

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Paul Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, Ford Prefect <f_prefect@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Bolt and thread question, now back to the plate!...
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:30:08 -0600
Paul A. wrote:

> Now, if a thin plate is used on a 1275 block, it will fit, but not
> properly, then the trans input shaft will go too deep into the end of the
> crankshaft, possible bottoming out and damaging the input shaft bearing, or
> just deep enough to work, in either case possibly damaging the pilot bush.

Stewart adds:

> Actually it does more than this.. if the engine is fully bolted up the
> pressure is in fact so great the Clutch does not work at all as the first
> motion shaft is now jammed right in the centre of the flywheel. The results
> are imedialy obvious, and no amount of playing with the cluch will make it
> work. Don;t ask me how I know!

Hmmm.  Well, from Paul's description of the oil pump cover, I definitely
have at least the wrong oil pump cover brazed onto the back plate. However,
the clutch was working fine until the plate exploded so I don't have the
problem Stewart outlines.  Ergo - Perhaps I have the correct backing plate
with the wrong oil pump cover brazed onto it. Iis this possible??

The pilot bushing looks as if the shoulder on the transmission input shaft
has been up against it, but it also looks as though it is not all the way
into the flywheel which could also explain the input shaft chewing on it.

Sooooo.....   What is the proper thickness of the backing plate on the 1275
engine, and where do I get the proper one and the proper oil pump cover and
gaskets if I have the too thin plate for the smaller displacement engine??

Brad may have been right about the Shipwrights Disease, but for different
reasons entirely!

Cheers!!
Jim - disassembled Midget in Dodge City
--