Re: Wheel Bearings

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:14:54 -0600 {sentby:smtp 192.190.246.2 authed with dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com} with any abuse report
> > In case you want the tapered roller conversion, Timken lists the part
> > numbers
> > on their automotive application web site as:
> > 30205M Inner
> > 30303 Outer

> I have tried some roller bearings.  The first set was listed for the
> car but there was no way they would work.  The Timken numbers list by
> Mike are suppose to work, I have not used them so can not say for
> certain.

I have tried these. In fact, I now have well over 20,000 trouble-free miles
(including quite a few autocrosses) on a set of these.
The center spacer should NOT be used with the tapered roller bearings; its
job was to strengthen the ball bearing assemblies so they would not
self-destruct. If you really wnat to believe that a piece of cast pot-metal
significantly affected the strength of the forged steel stub axle, be my
guest.
Yes, the castle nut tends to be a bit tall with the rollers, but rather than
grind it down I simply determined which slot I would need and cut it a
little deeper.
Obviously, none of the bearing adjustment specs and procedures in the manual
apply to tapered roller bearings. Go look in an old GM RWD manual if you do
not know how to do it.
David Lieb
1972 Blue with Timken front wheel bearings