Re: Crankshafts

To: "Lester Ewing" <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Crankshafts
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:21:33 -0800 reply-type=response
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Lester,

I took out what I thought was a good crank from the 948 in the A35 Austin.
It was cracked.  I got three 948 cranks from Crash, two were cracked, one
was already 20 under.  I finally got an uncracked one given to me by a Brit
car shop in Sacramento.  Once you have one that isn't cracked, get it
ground, polished, balanced and shot peened (in whatever order those things
get done.)
Then balance the rest of the rotating mass and put on a 1275 harmonic
balancer(also balanced).  The resulting motor can turn very high revs
without crack inducing vibration.  The smoothness of the resulting motor is
a pleasure.  I debated putting in a 1275, but the car is so rare over here I
wanted to leave the number matched engine in the car.

Good luck,
Glen Byrns