Re: I know they're supposed to leak, but......LONG

To: "Geoff Branch" <gjbranch@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: I know they're supposed to leak, but......LONG
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:31:44 -0000
Geoff,
Department of Outlandish Ideas ....
(1)  It isn't anything like a small leak around the sump/block seal
dribbling down to the sump plug where it collects and forms a drip is it?
(After reading your replies this is my favourite - as is a possible rocker
cover leak running down the back of the engine and over the block/sump lip.
Wipe the sump with white spirit soaked rag to clean all dirt and oil away
then check on a daily or every time you drive basis)
(2)  Throw the washer away and use a suitably sized 'O' ring.  (My second
favourite once the above has been thoroughly checked and discounted.)
(3)  A thick coat of old thick heat resistant grease around the plug and
washer (I hope it wasn't me that suggest this <smile>).

Guy R Day
A-H Sprite Mk IV

btw.  Hylomar is a brand name that makes a type of thread sealer / instant
gasket etc.  It is considered a quality product.