Re: RPM vs. MPH

To: Rick Sorak <HTPC@midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: RPM vs. MPH
From: Rick Snover <ricksnover@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:32:46 -0800
At 05:10 PM 3/15/2006, Rick Sorak wrote:
>   I was enjoying my new front shocks yesterday and driving at speeds
>   never before attained in my MG, and was wondering, I read somewhere
>   that a 1275 Midget would go 90 MPH. How?

Probably not with the stock differential ratio.

>...My Midget is turning 5000 RPM @ 58 MPH, according to its gauges. My cam
>card says the valves float @ 6000. Are my gauges (tach, speedo) off?

Quickest thing to check may be the speedo, if you can find a measured mile
marked on any of the roads in your area. (There used to be a lot of
"spedometer check" zones on major highways, but I haven't seen one in a
long time.) Just time how long it takes to cover a known mile at a constant
speed, then do the math. It should take exactly a minute at 60MPH, or two
minutes at 30. I'll leave any more complicated calculations up to you.

If your speedo's correct, that leaves the tach.

Good luck,
Rick
--
Rick Snover