RE: speed chip for toyotas

To: "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: speed chip for toyotas
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 21:25:16 -0800
        Linda:

        I have had mixed results with chipping cars. I had a Pontiac
Fiero years ago that chipping was a complete and utter failure on. The
chip caused it to drop into the limp home mode. Contacted the
manufacturer, and they sent me another. Even worse. I gave up.
      Had another car (Z28 Camaro), used a hypertech power programmer
on. Depending on how I set the options, I went from a loss of 10 HP to a
gain of 9. There was nothing to guide me as to which settings did what
for power. I ended up using a dyno (@$125/hour) to try different
settings until I found a set that actually delivered some power. So it
did work, after a fashion, but it was not a drop in.
        Even if you find one that works with hard data, the firmware in
your car may be different from the firmware that the chip was designed
for, and so your results may be disappointing. Bottom line, it's a crap
shoot in my experience as to whether it will work.
        The only proven route to power that I know of are the old
fashioned ones; cams, compression, exhaust work, etc. that's what I love
about 1275 engines - they respond well to the old fashioned tweaks.

        Vance