RE: Propeller shaft removal, made easy

To: "'Brad Fornal'" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Propeller shaft removal, made easy
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:32:04 -0400
Not trying to say "don't do it", but, keep in mind that the tunnel is a
very important structural member.  If you cut in the wrong area, your
car can loose quite a bit of longitudinal and torsional strength.
The bottom is probably the safest place to cut an access hole.  The
1500s had an access hole beneath the front U-joint/driveshaft flange
(did the 1500 trannies.....I can't remember).  I had thought of cutting
one out (they're so nicely formed, with a lip around them) of a 1500
carcass, and inserting it in the 1275 ('73) I'm currently working on.
But, I decided against it.  I like the idea of that tunnel being well
coated with oil, and I've never found reinstallation of the driveshaft
to be a big deal (I just can't remember how I did it, last time.....and
I've done it a bunch of times over the years..... so it must not be too
bad).
Bud Osbourne