Few basic carb adjustment questions

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Few basic carb adjustment questions
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:23:42 -0500
Gang
Not much left on the assembly now, car is complete axcept for some smaller
items. Vehicle inspection should take place on may 22 or 30th depending on
inspectors schedule. Grille needs installed, waiting for a few of those baby
buggy bumpers that go on the lower lip of the grille (I think it saves the
lower trim from getting rubbed on by the grille).
So, after a few problems last fall (plug wires on wrong) I need to sort out
the engine a bit more. Here's where I'm at:
Checked dwell, spec is 60 degrees + - 3. I am about the lower limit, around 57
ish.
Checked timing, 8 degrees btdc, I'm spot on using a timing light w/advance
disconnected and plugged.
Runs OK, I adjusted the idle using a flow meter tool, spec is 600, got it down
to about 650 and seems a bit too low for my taste, so to speak. Gen light
comes on at idle. Seems "happier" at 750 or a bit more, but for now left it at
650. I'm using a Fluke 88 to measure the rpm, and it really fluctuates a lot,
so hard to pick up on minor idle changes.
Big problem, probably the most common (I assume) is getting the mixture just
right.
Pulled plugs, which haven't had many miles put on them, and seem too dark. But
not wet. Also get a bit of black smoke at times, especialy shifting or if it's
idled for awhile and I give it a rev up, so assuming too lean. If I had a tach
that wouldn't fluctuate so much, I think what you're supposed to do is lean
each carb out until it stops making the rpm go higher, then back off 1 flat.
In short, looking for any good tips on setting the mixture or any other tuning
tips I should know. Factory-type performance is all I'm after here,
dependability and economy. Do the Color-tune plugs work? I ordered a carb tool
kit from PPP which use the wires that drop into the carb pistons to help set
idle, makes sense to me to use the carbs themselves to determine the airflow.
Only actual problem I may have is the choke seems hesitant to come off, need
to manually push down on the choke lever to get the choke all the way off,
which concerns me that maybe a jet isn't on center.
Thanks for any tips
Dan