Re: Coolest thing I've seen in a while (no LBC)

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coolest thing I've seen in a while (no LBC)
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:50:14 -0500
>>> The quote comes from Sadi, a 13th century
Persian scholar who wrote in "The Gulistan":  "I never complained of the
vicissitudes of fortune, nor suffered my face to be overcast at the
revolution of the heavens, except once, when my feet were bare, and I had
not the means of obtaining shoes. I came to the chief of Kfah in a state of
much dejection, and saw there a man who had no feet. I returned thanks to
God and acknowledged his mercies."   Thus, by seeing others far worse off
than ourselves, we begin to appreciate that which God has given us.
______________________________________
I am sure we are all very much aware of the quote and the reference,
although I doubt the rest of us could quote chapter and verse. I prefer the
musical rendition of this theme by The Foremen ...

   I was feeling sorry for myself
   Because I had no shoes.
   And then I saw a man who had no feet
   And I said "Friend, can I have your shoes."

I can understand feeling bad because of not having the MEANS to buy shoes,
but not HAVING shoes is a whole nother story. I spent April 21-23 at
Blackhawk Farms Raceway helping a friend earn his SCCA Novice License,
wearing shoes all three days. I am still trying to help my feet recover from
the trauma.
David Lieb