Re: My Lucky Day/ Midget Repairs

To: Paul Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: My Lucky Day/ Midget Repairs
From: "John D. Caffrey" <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 11:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
Thank you Paul and Frank for the glass advice. Attending to some more
important repairs on my 74 Midget this weekend though. Clutch
engagement is improved with the new slave pushrod, but would still like
to have engagement a bit further from the floor. Need to do more
checking here.

Investigating the pulling under braking found the caliper piston
reliefs indexed incorrectly, and the pad retainer rusted into two
pieces. No problem thinks I, just rob the rebuilt calipers and new
hoses from the 67 and we're back in business. Fortunately I didn't cut
the old hoses to remove the calipers because I found the new hose banjo
fitting wasn't counterbored for the OEM stepped banjo bolts. I tried to
reposition the piston reliefs to no avail, and installed a new pad
retainer on the same pads which weren't worn much. RF grabbing problem
solved, which leads me to believe that the pad retainer is much more
important than the piston relief positioning. The relief did not look
as pronounce as on my new pistons however.

Gas mileage has improved to 30.7 mpg since adjusting the carbs a week
ago. I found several sins there and in addition to running much
crisper, the annoying fuel smell is gone. I thought I would have to
drop the fuel tank to fix that.

I wanted to attend Britfest, but it's also satisfying to catch up on
the MG work list.
John