Racing History -- BIG Toys!

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing History -- BIG Toys!
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 08:24:20 -0700
This was forwarded to me by an old time racer of British cars!

Paul A

Here's a note from Len Sutton that he sent to the Racing History
discussion group

"Things seem to be a little slow this weekend,,, soooo I just thought
I'd tell you RH er's about my new toy. Last fall I purchased from Rolla
Vollstedt the replica race car he had been working on for the last 5
years. It is as close as you could get to the race car he built in the
fall and winter of 1948. We won 3 local Championships with that car in
the years that it existed. As my "subject" says, it's a 1925 Ford roadster
using a real 25 T steel shell. My # 2 man back at Indy, Harold Sperb
must have spent 2 months getting the body cleaned up ready to go forward. It
has a Ford flathead with a Merc 4" crank, 3 5/16 bore, or 275 cu.in.
Offy dual intake manifold with 2 Stromberg 94's. Edelbrock heads and all the
gauges one would need and they all work.

It is titled here in Oregon with a 1925 lisc. plate, street legal and is a
ball to drive. When I bought it from Rolla it had not been out of his shop, so
it was kind of a mystery
as to what it would be like. I trailer'ed it around to a couple of people,
namely Lonnie Gilbertson in an effort to get it finished.

This weekend I will have it on display at Portland Transmission's annual show,
Saturday May 13th, where probably a 100 cars will show up. It is bright
yellow
and has our traditional #27 on it."

Greg