Re: 1500 switches on '72 column?

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: 1500 switches on '72 column?
From: "David Riker" <davriker@digitalpath.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 20:41:22 -0700
I've done it on a '74, here are the "challenges".

1.  Ignition switch won't work.  The 74-79 ignition switch wiring is low
amperage, skimpy wires.  They can't handle the load.  You will need to
retain the earlier switch.
2.  the aluminum cap at the top of the steering column tube is larger on the
70-77.  You will have to use a die grinder & a file to reduce the size of
the cap so that the turn signal switch will fit over it.
3.  The plugs for the wiper switch and turn signal switch are different
sizes, although the wiring colors are the same.  I made a jumper with some
old wiring harnesses that adapted the two together, but you could cut &
splice the earlier plug onto the later switches.
4.  The 78/79 steering wheel must be used, because there is a tab on it that
spins a cam on the late style turn signal switch to cancel the turn signals.
With out that tab, your signals won't cancel.

It is two separate switches, but the turn signal switch and bracket clamp to
the column, and then the wiper switch gets mounted to the turn signal switch
bracket.  The switches are more readily available, and are less expensive
than the earlier ones.

I am very happy with my conversion, as the late style 78/79 turn switch
includes the horn function, and a lane change function not available on the
70-77 years, and only cancel the signals on the final turn of the wheel.
The wiper switch has a single pass feature, and doesn't have the dummy
overdrive function.

It is almost as easy to swap the entire steering column as it is to modify
the original one.
David Riker