Re: A Certain unfortunate irony

To: Larry Daniels <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: A Certain unfortunate irony
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 20:29:27 -0700
Larry Daniels wrote:

>The roads were so narrow that people parked their cars with the outside wheels
>up on the sidewalk.  Even with that much extra room, we still passed cars from
>the opposite direction with less than 6 inches clearance on either side of the
>car.

The reason, of course, is that those roads,  especially those in small
villages, began as footpaths.  Even those in some of the more historic
cities began life as simply a thoroughfare for carts and carriages.
Today, many roads are so narrow that when a car is spotted coming from
the opposite direction, one will stop and give way to the other, with
drivers usually exchanging a wave.  The width of the roads is just one
of the reasons England is a nation of drivers I have found to be far
more courteous than most drivers in America, especially those in
Southern California where a wave may be of just one finger.

Buster Evans