RE: Today's engine assembly tip - Chapter Two

To: "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Today's engine assembly tip - Chapter Two
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:11:26 -0500
 Hi All, Long, sad, expensive story here about things that "cannot
possibly be."   Double and triple check the wristpin circlips in ALL new
pistons you purchase from ANYONE.  Make absolutely certain the circlips
are the proper fit before the piston-wristpin-connecting rod assembly is
installed.  In 2005, after only 1,130 miles on my freshly rebuilt 6
cylinder AH engine a "just a tad too small" circlip worked its way out
of the groove and got caught between the piston and cylinder wall.  This
happened simultaneously on two cylinders.  The engine damage was
awesome...two bent rods, one rod journal heavily damaged, and much more.
Anyway, five months and $1,850 later I have the resurrected engine back
from the machine shop.  There's much more I could tell but I'll spare
the gory details.  I remember what my Dad used to tell me ....boy,
measure once-cut twice, measure twice-cut once...
Jack