Re: S.U. Solid State Fuel Pump Question

To: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>,
Subject: Re: S.U. Solid State Fuel Pump Question
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 10:30:43 -0500
>      Here`s a question regarding the new SU solid state pump I put on the
> Midget Saturday: Near the hot terminal is a small, shiny metal tube, about
> 1/4" long and 1/8" dia. This is in addition to the somewhat larger tube at
> the
> other end for the hose venting to the boot. On the original type pump  is
> hole with a plastic cap in the same place as the mystery tube. I think the
> book says the capped thing is a non-return valve. Does anyone know if that
> tube on the new pump needs to be capped or vented? Thanks,

Bert, the idea of the tube is to vent the electrical part of the pump into
the boot area so that there is less chance of a spark meeting any fuel
vapor. I would have thought that the solid state edition of the pump would
be sparkless, but you never know and I am not suggesting that you take it
apart to find out ;-) It is perfectly possible that they simply got tired of
telling people that the tube was no longer necessary or that too many people
were losing concours points for not having the tube in place... who knows?
David Lieb