Re: $400 Joe Curto carb rebuild

To: "Billy Zoom" <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Subject: Re: $400 Joe Curto carb rebuild
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:33:15 -0500
On 5/23/06, Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com> wrote:
> http://www.punkbandsites.com/carbs.html

Man, Billy!  Those look pretty good to me even given the vice marks.
Everything else looks new on them. In my experience, original SUs when
they were brand new weren't much cleaner that what you've got there.

With these old cars, its hard to know what original looked like any
more. Fortunately, I am old enough to have that perspective. I see a
lot of cars and motorcycles today that IMHO are what I consider to be
greatly overdone. That is to say they look far better than the
vehicles did when they were new. If that's what you want, I guess its
okay, but I don't recall SUs looking a whole lot better than yours
(except for the vice marks) when they were brand new. I guess you
could always tear them down and have them polished or plated......

I've got a friend with old BMW motorcycles like mine who says he is a
BMW motorcycle "buff". The rest of us, however, refer to him as a BMW
Motorcycle "buffer"...    ;-)

Point is, you can go overboard with this stuff pretty easily...

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City