A visit to AH Spares

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: A visit to AH Spares
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:36:21 -0700
A few days after the Beaulieu Autojumble, I needed to complete my
shopping list and paid a fantastic visit to AH Spares, "Undoubtedly the
largest supplier of Austin-Healey parts in the world."  And from the
size of the operation, I have to believe their slogan is true!

Keith Bates, the company sales manager, not only went from bin to bin
filling my order, but made some valuable suggestions.  It seemed that
many of my parts were manufactured by the same companies that supplied
Donald Healey in putting together his fun sports car that still captures
the American imagination.  He also gladly provided copies of the AH
Spares  catalogue in both printed and CD formats for those who will be
coming out for the BusterCluster.  This may not seem much until you
realize that in England catalogues are not given out for free, and they
normally charge #2.50 ($4.50) for those in the UK, and #4.00 ($7.36) for
those in the US (they also have a web site at
http://www.ahspares.co.uk/Default.aspx).

I have always maintained that buying parts from England provides a great
value for money, and better overall quality.  I paid, for example,
$181.62 for my seat covers and $132.70 for my carpets.

The biggest problem I had was on my return to the U.S.  First, my three
soft-sided bags were maxed out on weight, so some parts went into my
briefcase.  So, whenever I went through a scan of carry-on items, I was
kindly but firmly asked to open my briefcase, and then explain what the
long, round, tapered item was in my briefcase.  When I told the UK
screener it was Frogeye Sprite kingpin, he simply said, "Oh," and passed
it through.  When I said the same thing to a U.S. inspector, he asked,
"A Bugeye Sprite kingpin?  What's that," and I had to go into a detailed
explanation.  Then when I opened my bags at home, I found a slip from
the Transportation Security Administration in each one.  It seems there
was something in each that had aroused their suspicions.  No kidding!
Well, since I was flying on the aircraft, I was grateful that these
inspectors were doing their job!

Buster Evans