1275 exhaust manifold clamp

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1275 exhaust manifold clamp
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:24:10 -0700
The 1275 I'm fitting into the Austin has a stock early 1275 manifold.  Is
there a trick to get the manifold to seal to the flared exhaust pipe?  With no
gasket, I guess the clamp has to clamp the pipe to the manifold VERY tightly?
The Moss aftermarket clamp is a POS stamping that fits poorly.  Despite
hammering out a decent flange flare on the pipe, the junction leaks both noise
and gas big time.  Any suggestions?

I'd drop in a set of headers, but the angle on the commercial headers is
designed to miss the frame rail on a bugeye, and that sends it right into the
frame rail of the A35.  Headers to fit this car would need to be a straight
drop, so are temporarily out of the question.

Is the original early 1275 exhaust clamp a casting or stamping?  Does anyone
have one they would be willng to part with?

Thanks,
Glen Byrns