Re: Greasy tires

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Greasy tires
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 16:51:47 -0500
An interesting discussion on treating or not treating tires.  I've
only had the Midget for coming up on two years now and have never
shown a car but I've had motorcycles for 45 years and have shown a few
of them.

Here's an observation on using ArmourAll on rubber and vinyl surfaces.
At least on motorcycles, rubber and vinyl parts last 2 to 3 times
longer when regularly treated with Armourall. I have one bike which is
30 years old this year and I have had it since new. Recently I saw an
identical bike and spoke with the owner. He had never used any
treatment on the bike and had replaced all the rubber and vinyl parts
(grommets, boots, seat, foot peg rubbers, grips, cable
coverings...etc.) at least 3 times since the bike was new and several
I saw were again in need of replacing. Treating mine regularly with
Armourall, I have only replaced a few cable boots in 30 years and that
was because I tore them when doing maintenance work. Nearly ever bit
of rubber and vinyl on the bike is original and looks like new. Even
the plastic bits around the instrument cluster look new from regular
treatment when most people who own this bike have already had to
replace the entire black plastic cluster housing because it turned
white and cracked open.

Perhaps it is different on cars, but looking at the disaster I have
for a dash on the Midget, I think perhaps I'll keep using the
Armourall....    ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City