RE: More Steering Rack Questions

To: "'Mark'" <mark@nashvilletn.org>,
Subject: RE: More Steering Rack Questions
From: "Matt Endicott" <endicar@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 18:11:55 -0500
Mark,

Okay, since nothing is binding it must be something else.  I dusted off 22
years of dust from my old Bear Wheel Service Handbook and found that
steering wheel recovery after turning is a function of King Pin Inclination
(KPI).  The modern term is SAI or Steering Axis Inclination, but since we
have king pins lets call it KPI.  KPI in the inward inclination toward the
engine of a line drawn through the center of the king pin compared to true
vertical plumb line.  The point of intersection of the true plumb line and
the KPI is located just to the inside center line of the tire footprint and
below the road surface.  The weight of the vehicle at the front wheels is
supported through the KPI line.  This provides a proper pivot point for the
front wheels when cornering and helps keep the spindles in a straight ahead
position to provide good directional control.  A change in the point of
intersection will affect directional control.

How to measure:  KPI is measured in degrees and your car should be 6 3/4
degrees.  You will need the proper gauge.  Might have one around here that I
can send down if I can find it.  The KPI and the camber angle are called the
"included angle".  The camber angle is always included in the true KPI
measurement.  If you have a positive camber angle add that amount to the KPI
angle.  If you have a neg camber angle subtract that amount from the KPI
reading.  KPI is not adjustable and can only change if the spindle becomes
bent.  If incorrect, check the spindle or spindle support or kp bushings.
Seems logical that improper wheel offset would also change the point of
intersection and affect the directional control.

Matt