Home solution to Mini engine woes

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Home solution to Mini engine woes
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:52:43 -0400
Tonight after getting prices of $500-$1200 for a Mini core or beat used
shortblock, My son and I decided to make out oun transverse engine out
of a Sprite engine.
A bit of internet research, a friend with a lathe in his basement, and a
desperate email to Peter for parts and I think we will make a sidewinder
out of a Sprite engine before Kevin's Rally next Saturday.
I'm sure the 3 hour drive TO the rally will test and break in (or just
break) the engine.
We bummed up a crankshaft from an Austin America 1275. I had a 1275
Sprite block or 3 hanging around the garage. We milled out the rear main
cap and tomorrow will use a pipe fitting to make the oil pick up (tranny
pickup) fit more like it should.
The crank from the Austin America now fits and has room for the drop
gears to the tranny which is in the sump on a Mini.
So now instead of $500 for a rebuildable engine, we will have a rebuilt
engine for a couple hundred bucks at best.
I have NOS BMC pistons and all I need is some gaskets and bearings.
A new oil pump for good measure and Frank jr and myself will be really
happy and amazed if it all comes together and works.
Hey, it's not rocket science and his old engine ate the crank and ran
way hot because something is out of round or not right with the crank or
line bores.
Besides, a Sprite engine never goes bad, Mini engines never are right.
We have just fixed that world wide problem ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ