Home from Genius Farm 1 and Genius Farm 2

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Home from Genius Farm 1 and Genius Farm 2
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:34:02 -0700 (PDT)
I got a call from Frank while finishing the trip home
from California telling me that Pam and Buster had
just returned from their first ride in his Bugeye in
nearly 30 years. I am thrilled it happened, and sorry
I couldn't see in person what I saw in my mind 7
months ago when I met Buster for the first time.

Words can't really describe what I saw this weekend -
Paul A., Frank, Peter, Glen Byrns, Hal, Jay (one of
the funniest people I have ever met), Jerry, Mike,
Robert, Jim & Jim, Larry...the list is endless...the
talent and dedication was incredible.  The knowledge
and brotherhood in the garage was humbling.  Buster's
fears of us not knowing what to do and when were
quickly dismissed.  He did a great job of laying stuff
out and marking it.  Everyone worked differently, but
worked together. THe only stumbles were looking for
the occasional part and frewuent tool.  I learned a
bunch, many of us had stock-Bugeye lesons that wee
long gone rekindled. I have said may times that you
can't really get to know someone on an email list. I
was very wrong.  There were people I met all weekend
who immediately felt like lifelong friends, even if
many looked completely different than I imagined. I
will somehow spend some time tomorrow to describe the
weekend as best I can from my perspective.

Peter, brother Bob and I left a little earlier than
planned when I got a call saying Billy would be back
in town late Saturday afternoon, and although he'd be
at work, we'd be able to spend a little time BS'ing
with him.  Billy had called Friday, pretty bummed he
couldn't be there helping. He is one of us (or he CAN
attain sainthood if he brings better taps and dies for
us). We got to talk cars for hours, like a little
Cluster annex (We got a little itchy to start fixing
stuff at random, but some of the union guys looked
they'd go Altamont on us at even a hint of such a
thing}.  Oh well. The irony struck me pretty hard when
I remember what my friends and I passed back and forth
at rock shows 20 years ago, and now we were passing
car wax and baby gifts. As awed as I was earlier in
the day from the Spridget talent, it continued when
"Billy from the list" turned into Billy Zoom in an
instant and went out and absolutely blew away 8000
screaming fans.  Seeing X perform live for the first
time was everything it should have been, with DJ and
Billy especially nailing down the musical sides of
things like Clarici with a nailgun.  I think DJ needs
a Sprite, too. If Billy's car isn't done by next year,
I propose we do it all again and push it out onstage
during an encore ( "Breathless" would be appropriate
backing tune).  Billy made us feel at home in very new
surroundings - a million thank yous.  I'll have your
friend Larry in a racecar in no time, Billy, and I
hope Mike doesn't piss the word "FIAT" on my Sprite if
I get it to HOB.

Just a ramble....more upon sobriety after a much nnded
"ah, home now!" concoction.

Ron

So much more to write...gotta catch up on 7 hrs sleep
all weekend (lots of "Good night"s followed by 3 more
hours of bullshitting).