RE: Roller rockers

To: "'Michael D Myers'" <mdmyers_ct@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Roller rockers
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 05:49:01 -0400
Thanks everyone for all the advice.  I'll just stay stock for now.

I asked because during my last valve adjustment I saw my #8 rocker was
wobbling laterally.  The pedestal was solid.  The others seemed fine.

Worn shaft?  Why only on the back end of the shaft?

Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa

 Phil,

I have not dealt with this seller, but I have looked at a lot of this type
of rocker arm, usually with needle bearings at the pivot as part of my old
job. The roller tip does not help as you would expect, it usually has too
much friction on the ID to roll and slides across the valve tip. To make
matters worse, the OD curvature is much tighter than the normal rocker tip
which leads to valve stem pitting from higher contact stresses. The lower
stiffness of aluminum vs. steel also makes me think these may be more
flexible than the stock rocker.

I am not convinced that they are worth the money.

Mike Myers
Former Torrington engineer