Books, cleaning engine compartment

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Books, cleaning engine compartment
From: "David N Waldmann" <dw@vfh.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:18:27 -0400
I'm back!

Nice to see everyone is still alive and kicking here in Spridget land.
Surpised to see so much activity when the weather's so fine for motoring
tho....

So, another year goes by and I'm back working on the Midget. After fussing
about for hours trying to figure out how the dash come apart, and how to get
the armrest moulding off without bending it, I decided I ought to buy a book
and learn from other people's mistakes. Upon looking at several sites I see
there are several, so I said to myself "Self, it's time to talk to the
people that know everything" so here I am.

I'm looking for suggestions for a book that has the basic
body/mechanical/suspension workings. Like a Haynes that is in American
English, correct, and has relevant pictures. One that is written in a
personable style, has interesting tidbits and procedural tips would be a
plus. I'm working on this car with my (now 17 year old!) son and would like
to get it "done" before he's "gone". We are having some good times, but it
would be even more quality if we actually accomplished something after an
evening's work.

One last thing. Here in the sticks there are no "media blasters" or "dip
tanks" around the corner. I'd like to at least get the engine compartment
cleaned up and paint-worthy. What's your best suggestion for a backyard
solution to get rid of all the grease and grime?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your company again,

-dnw-

'72 Midget