Re: Re: now helmet law/ Truck collision

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: now helmet law/ Truck collision
From: Robert Duquette <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:13:20 -0400
What's in a name?

My brother's death is being called an accident.  My father takes exception to
the term.  But, the guy who ran into the vehicle that my brother was in, didn't
do it on purpose, so, wasn't it an accident?

Mirriam Webster:
1 a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b : lack of intention
or necessity : CHANCE <met by accident rather than by design>
2 a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance
b : an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when
injurious <a cerebrovascular accident> c : an unexpected happening causing loss
or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person
injured but for which legal relief may be sought d -- used euphemistically to
refer to an involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation
3 : a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance <the
accident of nationality>