Clunk

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Clunk
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:59:18 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hi folks,
Well, I've got the back of the car (1500 Midget) up on jack stands trying to
track the clunking noise.  The U joints seem solid enough.  There is some slop
and a slight clunk when I turn a back wheel, or twist the prop shaft, but I
think this is normal differential slack, right?
Besides, this noise/jolting sounds like its coming from the clutch/gearbox
area.  Its so bad that if you try to take off quickly from a stop, the car will
actually stall out.  On the other hand, if I am very gentle, giving no gas
until I get moving, there is hardly any noise.   It only happens when I let the
clutch out (lift foot off the depressed clutch pedal) from a stop or when
shifting up through the gearbox.  Not when downshifting.
If nobody has any more ideas, I'll have to take it in to an LBC shop, which is
not a bad thing but there is the problem of leaving it there and getting back
home, etc.
Regards,  Adrian