Re: How were Spridets sold originally? datsun / nissan history

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How were Spridets sold originally? datsun / nissan history
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:31:57 -0600
> BTW?   the first datsun roadsters(spl 311?) & 240Z's were badged
> as "fairlady"'s.

Actually, I understand that there is rather more to the story than that.
It seems that back about 1959, some of the higher-ups of Nissan came to the
US so that our auto industry could "show them how it is done". As part of
the tour, they went to Broadway to see the musical "My Fair Lady". The head
of Nissan was so enchanted by it that he promptly decided that his line of
sports cars would be called Fairlady in honor of it. In the Japanese market,
they still are; the 350Z is a Fairlady there.
David Lieb