Re: How tight is too tight?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How tight is too tight?
From: "bjshov8" <bjshov8@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:35:50 -0600
A 5 or 6 liter V8 short block will turn over a little harder than this.
Once you add the heads and plugs it gets a little harder due to compression.
Yours might be OK or might be a bit tight.  If a good starter won't turn it
then you have a problem somewhere.  If you can't figure it out while in the
vehicle, then pull the motor loose from the transmission and try to turn the
motor then.

As far as the motor assembly itself, if you get back to that point-
check the piston and ring clearances- with the piston in a cylinder and no
rings, make sure there is proper clearance between the piston skirt and the
cylinder wall, then put the rings in a cylinder with out the pistons and
make sure there is proper ring end gap.  Lastly check the bearing
clearances, both main and rod bearings.  This is easy to do with plastigage.