Re: wire wheel conversion

To: BCAH@aol.com,spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wire wheel conversion
From: Bob Spruck <mgmaven@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:54:06 -0500
I haven't done a wire wheel conversion but I have a steel wheel car and a
wire wheel car. I did a tech article a few years ago for the now defunct
Midget & Sprite Magazine on the dimensions of the rear ends, axles, and
hand brake parts for both set-ups. I also have a few sets of conversion parts.

The wire wheel axle length is 22 1/8" while the steel wheel axle is 22
5/8", a half inch longer, measured from the inside of the flange to the end
of the spline. The whole rear assy is 40 3/4" for the wires and 41 3/4" for
the steel, 1" shorter, measured from the inside of the backing plate to the
inside of the opposite backing plate. The preferred wire wheel axles are
marked BTA939. They are the factory option and are more durable than the
others which have no marks.

I measured the wear marks on a set of steel wheel axles I happened to have
out of a car. It appears that the steel wheel axles engage the diff for 1".
If you put 1/2" shorter wire wheel axles into a wider steel wheel assy, I
would guess they would engage 1/2" on each side. Is that enough? I don't
know. But substituting shorter axles is a lot easier than replacing the
entire steel wheel rear assy with a wire wheel one. I'm sure that's what
most guys do.

Hope this helps.

Bob Spruck
MG Maven