Re: Re: Favorite American Sports Cars

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Favorite American Sports Cars
From: Robert Duquette <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:34:31 -0500
I would say 'yes', even if you never tow anything.  But, I think it depends on
'your' circumstances.  Here in the <sometimes> land of snow and ice, an AWD
makes a lot of sense.  The one I'm considering is a Subaru Outback.  I took
one out for a test drive and am sold on it.  Then I tested the 6 cylinder and
WOO-HOO!!!  It's basically an economy size station wagon that sits a bit high
and with superb handling.  I took 2 Subaru Outbacks for test drives this past
weekend and another last night.  The first one was on a dealer lot.  4
cylinder. ( 165hp )  Nice tight car.  We took it out and the salesman made me
drive it like I was scared to do.  ( Having the wife in the car affected my
attitude, also. )  100kph around a corner posted at 55kpm ( that would be a
max 80kpm corner in the Ford wagon on dry roads )  It just walked around like
we were doing the 55kpm.  Then we went to a remote road and put the passenger
wheels on the snow encrusted shoulder of the road.  My instructions were to
keep the wheels straight and floor it.  I couldnt.  My wagon would have
torque steered to the right, so I instinctively turned slightly to the left.
So I did it the second time with more confidence.  Great car.

Then Sunday I took out a VDC Outback.  Beautiful wood/leather steering wheel.
6 cylinder (212HP), leather.  The salesperson didnt come along.  YEE-HAW!!!

Its almost impossible to make these things spin tires.  The normal Outback
was a fantastic handler.  The VDC is supposed to be much better.  I didnt
notice any difference, because I wasn't throwing it around that much, but . .
. that extra 47HP!!!

Thats the most fun Ive had in a while.  I grinned for a bit.

Subaru's site describes the VDC as: Working alongside Subaru symmetrical
full-time AWD system, Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) constantly monitors
steering wheel angle, engine speed and gear and brake status to maintain
optimum stability and traction. By controlling engine output, front and rear
torque
  distribution as well as brake pressure to individual wheels, VDC helps you
maintain your intended path, even when road or weather condition are far from
ideal.

And, if I get the 6 cyl, I'll have the option to tow.  Better to have it and
not need it . . .

Robert D.