Todays efforts

To: "spridgets net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Todays efforts
From: "Jack Laird" <jlaird237@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:53:22 -0600
Took the batt. out of my truck and installed in Miss Agatha.

Tested cranking, no joy, tested batt. switch with a screwdriver. Bah. switch
not working. So out it came and took it apart, try that when you don't have
anything better to do. Fixed it and reinstalled. Copper contacts were just
corroded. I will order a new switch but this will work fine prob for years.

Cranked engine.

Ok time to adjust valves.
Part I

Valves adjusted, cover on, plugs back in. Boy does she turn over nice, smooth
and with authority.

I have not run wires for the elec fuel pump yet nor do I have an oil prissure
gage hooked up. No way I fire her without a gage in place.

All fluids in but for water, everything checked and double checked.

Wonder how long I can hold off. Vinyl for dash will not arrive for about 3
weeks or so, may be that long.

Jumps about on one foot.

Part II

Has been an intresting afternoon. Hooked up a temp and oil pressure gage and
taped it where I can see it.

Hooked up wireing for the fuel pump. No fuel, oh shoot. Found that the line
from the tank to the pump had something in it that I could not get out. So
installed a different line from my collection. Then I had a fuel leak so had
to replumb the fuel pump. Darn engineers used oversize hose and poor spring
clamps. So I had to do a bit of grinding and refitting and such with real fuel
hose and double clamps like I did on my boat. No leaks now.

And then, and then. I find that fuel is pumping right through the front pump
out the overflow. What do you want to bet I maybe put the valve in upside down
or something dumb like that. Oh well quick check and yes it is a 3.5 lb rated
pump.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Miss Agatha.

Part III

Fuel was leaking from the bottom fitting on the fuel bowl, took it off and
could see no prob, so added a second washer to the bolt then I could tighten
it just a bit more, solved that.

yep I was right, fuel float valve was up side down, duh. Bends over so all can
kick.

Ok now we about ready, fuel all ok and checked, oil fine, need some water and
give it a spin.

Part IV

Will rig a master switch in the morning.

Fill with water.

Crank it without the plugs in and see about getting some oil pressure.

Walk around the house a couple of times.

Walk the dog.

Go for it.