Good paint / bad paint?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Good paint / bad paint?
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:39:46 -0500
OK all you environmentally savvy folks. Since you have brought this up,
I've been wondering. . .

Lacquer paints were "banned" because they are so bad for the environment,
but folks used them relatively safely (it seems) with minimal safety
protection by today's standards.

Now the iso?? (two part) paints require a bunny suit to safely work with
them because they are suppose to be so deadly to the operator. BUT they are
apparently safe for the environment?? I don't understand this. It would
seem to me that if these paints can kill me when I work with them, they
wouldn't be desirable in the environment either.

Seems like the "regulators" should have banned lacquer and the auto
companies and hobbiests been told to use finger paint or Easter egg colors.

What gives here?

ps. Midland is the home to Dow Chemical and Dow Corning. The river here
used to be terrible. Now the river is a top notch Walleye fishery - and the
fish don't have 3 eyes either. Industry can be clean.

Tim Collins
Midland, MI
1966 AH Sprite