Leaking carbs and sticking chokes

To: "spridgets net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking carbs and sticking chokes
From: "Jack Laird" <jlaird237@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:35:02 -0600
Thinking again. The fuel comes from the bottom of the float bowl into the
bottom of the carb body just above the large nut that attaches the choke
needle assy to the carb body.

That puts the fuel in a chamber, the center of this chamber is the needle
choke jet tube. This tube is slides up and down a bit as choke is used or as
you adjust mixture. It is sealed by two O rings top and bottom that are held
in place by a longish spring around the choke needle assy. The brass ends of
this chamber in which the O rings are placed are sealed to the carb body by a
copper washer on each end of the assembly.

So it has to be the O rings or the copper washers.

I vote for the O rings leaking by not seating as well as they might as they
are only held in by a spring and a very small shaped brass washer to protect
the O ring from the spring between them. ie the spring could be a bit tighter
and maybe the o rings could be a bit larger to enclose more of the seat space.
I have four springs and they are all the same length and seem to be the same
stiffness.

If you read this you know I am thinking out loud, I must find some better O
rings. Just might be smart to check the O ring seats as well for damage, but
then they are brass and should be fine, however I will use my dumore and
polish them a bit. Just a bit. Will check em anyway.

I have resolved the sticking choke problem, on both carbs. The needle choke
jet tube was fitting too tightly in the upper brass needle centering part. I
put a bit of oil on the end of the tube and effectively worked it round and
round till it polished both parts to a fine lapped fit. And that ain't in the
book folks. Cleaned with good old carb cleaner and fits and slides to a T.

On ward and upward, it has to be the O rings. Or the copper washer seals I I
don't believe that as they are new. Think upon reflection the O rings are too
large in diameter and to small is cross section. More to follow.

We all going to be carb experts when this is concluded if you can follow my
rambles.